I am Alex Frolkin, an Oxbridge maths graduate and system administrator, with interests in education and psychology. I offer one-to-one mentoring and group workshops in IT and maths on topics including:
- Computing fundamentals
- command-line fluency
- server configuration, including Apache/nginx, databases, etc.
- shell scripting and automation
- general system administration
- Networking and Internet technologies
- IPv4 and IPv6
- Routing and switching
- Domains and website hosting
- Raspberry Pi
- Microcontroller programming
…and many other topics and technologies.
My experience shows that what really matters is having a solid grasp of the basics — because the "complicated" stuff is really just the same basic principles put together in different ways. The important thing isn't to know everything, it's to know how to find out when you need to.
I offer sessions online (via Jitsi or Zoom). In the near future, I hope to resume in-person sessions (in St Ives, Cambridgeshire), and group workshops (in Cambridge). I also intend to begin running group workshops online. You will be able to find more information about the workshops in the Facebook group, the Minds group, or on Telegram.
I offer a safe, supportive environment where you can:
- learn by doing (with guidance from me as appropriate),
- feel free to ask any questions (even so-called "stupid" ones — those are usually the most valuable and important),
- make mistakes without having to feel embarassed, and learn from them (often the best way to learn).
The rate for one-to-one sessions is £40 per hour, or £110 for a three-hour session (contact me for corporate rates). A typical session would be three hours with a 30-minute break in the middle.
Booking and enquiries
Please get in touch by email to discuss what you're looking for, availability, and any other questions.
For group workshops, please see the events page.